Innovative high quality machine tools and bespoke equipment to the rail industry
Marand markets and sells its rail products under the Atlas Rail brand having acquired the 90 year old United Kingdom Atlas Engineering group in 2003. Marand designs and manufactures all equipment from our headquarters in Victoria, Australia. Few rail machine tool companies can lay claim that their products are engineered and manufactured in an AS9100C aerospace quality accredited facility.
Since 1940, over 300 Atlas machines have been installed in more than 51 countries. On every continent today wheelset-machining operations are being performed on Atlas machines.
Marand also have Australia’s largest bespoke rail equipment design and manufacture capability. We design & build machines that will stand the test of time and operate reliably for many years.
As Australia’s only Portal and underfloor wheel lathe original equipment manufacturer Marand have the largest service and support capability where customers machines are serviced by the engineers that built the machines.
Armed with the latest in design and manufacturing technology, Marand can meet any requirements from designing a new fully automated workshop to retrofitting an existing one.
Marand’s Atlas Rail product range includes:
Rail workshop Lathes
- New Generation Portal lathes
- Under-floor wheel lathes
- Tandem under-floor wheel lathes
Rail workshop presses from 150 to 600 Tonnes
- Wheel mount presses
- Wheel demount presses
- Wheel mount/demount combination presses
- Bearing mount presses
- Bearing demount presses
- Bearing mount/demount combination presses
Bogie and car handling systems
- Bogie handling units
- Jacking systems from 15 to 75 Tonne jacks
- Infloor jacks
- Mobile lifting jacks
- Bogie and axle drop systems
- Car progression systems and shunters
Ancillary maintenance equipment
- Locomotive turntables
- Locomotive traction motor drop tables
- Coupler safe installation and removal devices
- Draft pack / draft gear safe installation and removal devices
- Draw-bar safe installation and removal devices
- Wheelset automated guided vehicles (AGV’s)
- Bogie automated guided vehicles (AGV’s)
- Ore car automated guided vehicles (AGV’s)
- Wheel shop automated gantry systems
- Automated wheel farm systems
- Single Car Brake testers
- Brake Cylinder leak testers
- Wheelset qualification machines
Standard and purpose built machines receive on-site turnkey delivery, installation and commissioning. This extends to the full range of workshop installations for individual equipment or full turnkey basis for main and light rail, freight and heavy haulage, people movers or metros.
Atlas Rail products are the outcome of understanding the needs of our customers, decades of experience in design, development and in-depth understanding of the railway business.
The real sophistication of our products is their simplified machine operation. The user friendly operator screens feature graphic user and plain language interfaces available in the operator’s own language. No knowledge of machine tool code is necessary.
All Atlas Rail products are compliant to customer safety standards and offer swarf management, and total interlocking for the protection of operators.
Marand have designed some of the World’s largest rail maintenance facilities from concept to delivery including full system, facility and process design utilising best practice in lean production principles and the highest automation levels in the rail industry today.